Information and communication technology (ICT) has increasingly contributed to the transformation of our lives including social interaction, economic and business practices, education and knowledge dissemination and cross-fertilization, political engagement, media education, health, leisure and entertainment. It has been argued that ICT has huge potential for fostering sustainable rural development, alleviation of poverty, community empowerment and addressing the challenges of climate change. However, despite the advancement of ICT, the application of ICT in the rural sectors has been slow due to factors such as poor ICT infrastructure in rural areas, low population density, physical, economic, social and information barriers.
Find out more about INFRA (here) –> Click
Find out more about Ministry of Rural and Regional Development (here) –> Click
The ASEAN Forum on ICT for Sustainable Rural Development and Cross-Fertilization 2015 has the overall aim of bringing together stakeholders, decision makers, policy makers, prominent figure, leading academic scientists, researchers, and the public to explicitly discuss and advance our understanding of the issues of the ICT applications in rural areas and share the best practices on how ICT has been used for fostering sustainable rural development, poverty alleviation, knowledge cross-fertilization and addressing challenges of climate change. The conference will address current issues and/or debates related to sustainable rural development namely disaster management, training and education, entrepreneurship and innovation, and networking and social capital development across a deliberately wide range of relevant spheres and interacting topics.
This forum will also provide the premier trans-, inter-, and multi-disciplinary forum for federal- and state government officers at different hierarchies, non-governmental organizations; management and technical staff, academicians post-graduate students, and researchers to present and explicitly discuss the most recent innovations, best practices, trends and concerns, practical challenges encountered and the problem based solutions proposed and adopted related to ICT applications in rural development among members of ASEAN.
- To explore ICT applications and best practices for sustainable rural development.
- To examine the new trends in the application of ICT in enhancing rural livelihood, strengthening local empowerment and addressing the challenges of climate change.
- To share experiences on the best practices of the application of ICT in disaster management and mitigation.
- To share experiences on the barriers in the application of ICT for rural development and practical solutions/ways of overcoming them
- To promote knowledge cross-fertilization for sustainable rural development.
Authors are invited to submit extended abstracts/full papers describing their original research. Areas covered by the conference includes but not limited to:
- Disaster management strategies
- Disaster mitigation, communication and delivery system
- Post-disaster assessment, recovery and rebuilding of community
- Mapping of areas with high risk to disaster for monitoring
- Climate change and its impact to rural development
- ICT in education, capacity buildings and empowerment
- ICT and health services
- Role of ICT under climate change/disaster management in rural areas
- Application of ICT in agriculture
- ICT in e-Governance
- ICT in rural resource management
- ICT for economic & entrepreneur development
- Computation modelling and data integration
English is the official language of the forum and manuscripts should be written in English.